How To Take a Reading Comprehension Multiple Choice Test
in Reading tips
Multiple choice reading comprehension sections are common on most English examinations including the TOEFL, Cambridge Exams (First Certificate, CAE and Proficiency). Follow these points to score high.
- Keep in mind the exact amount of time you have to complete the exercise (18 minutes on the First Certificate, 20 Minutes per section on the TOEFL).
- Read the text through quickly without stopping to check your understanding of individual words. The first reading is to get a general understanding of the text.
- Read the text a second time more carefully. This time take to time to pause at sections you may find more difficult.
- Scan the multiple choice questions without looking at the answers. See if you can answer the questions easily by yourself. Skip any questions that you cannot answer immediately.
- Re-read the multiple choice questions and answer. Skip any question that find too difficult.
- If you can not find something close to your original answer (step 4) to the question, take a look at the text again.
- After you have answered each question, return to the text to find a justification for each of your answers.
- Return to the questions that you were not able to answer immediately and see if you can answer them now.
- If you still have time, check that the other possible answers are not specifically referred to in the text.
- If you find the text easy do step three before step four.
- Never spend too much time on any one question.
- Don't worry about understanding every single word. Reading comprehension focuses on general comprehension.