What's the Meaning?
Level: Medium to Difficult
You, the teacher, may need a dictionary do this activity.
- Choose a word which is long, difficult, and unknown to the students, a good word to begin with is: warmonger.
- Without using a dictionary, your students write down a definition. (They can work out the definition in groups of three). Allow them a few minutes to think and write.
- Collect the definitions and read them aloud.
- When you have finished reading, they will have to vote which of those is the correct one. (It doesn't matter if none of them is the correct one)
- After they have voted and none of the groups guessed the meaning you read the correct one aloud.
The idea of this game is to let students be creative and practice writing skills.
Then you can have the students to discuss their writings.