Part VII: Reading Comprehension
In Part VII you will read passages in the form of letters, ads, memos, faxes, schedules, etc. The reading section has a number of single passages and 4 double passages. You will be asked 2-4 questions about each single passage, and 5 questions for each double passage. Sometimes you will be asked for specific
details. Other times you will be asked about what the passage implies. In the paired passages you will also be asked to make connections between the two related texts. On the real test you will not have time to read every word. You need to practice scanning and reading quickly for details.
Example 1: Memo
1. What is the main purpose of this memo?
A) To inform all employees of a new expiration date.
B) To put staff members on probation.
C) To introduce the HR department.
D) To inform supervisors of a change in policy.
- Choice A is incorrect because the memo is only for supervisors and the subject is probationary periods.
- Choice B is incorrect because it is only new employees that go on probation.
- Choice C is who will send the notice to remind supervisors of the date.
The correct answer is D.
2. When does the change come into effect?
B) In 2 days.
C) In 3 months.
D) On January 1st.
- Choice A is not mentioned.
- Choice B confuses "2 days in advance" (which is when the supervisors will get their notice) with "in 2 days".
- Choice C is how long the probationary period is.
The correct answer is D.
Example 2: Advertisement
3. What is this advertisement for?
A) A summer trip.
B) A travel company.
C) A special deal.
D) A free magazine.
- Choice A confuses travel magazine with trip. The picture of the sun might make you choose this one by mistake.
- Choice B confuses travel magazine with travel company.
- Choice D confuses which item is free. In this special offer the sunglasses are free. You have to buy a magazine subscription to get the glasses.
The correct answer is C.
4. How much do the sunglasses cost?
A) They are free with a subscription.
B) They cost $1.
C) They cost $3 Canadian.
D) They cost $21. 95 US.
- Choice B confuses $1 with #1 magazine.
- Choice C confuses $3 Canadian with 3$ US (the shipping charge for Canadian subscribers).
- Choice D is the cost of the magazine subscription.
The correct answer is A.
5. Who cannot benefit from this special deal?
B) UK residents.
C) North Americans.
D) US residents.
- Choice A can benefit from the deal, but they have to pay for shipping.
- Choice C confuses outside of North America and North America. Both Canada and the United States are in North America.
- Choice D can benefit.
The correct answer is B. (The UK is outside of North America.)